Soup and the slow cooker are natural combos, and this recipe for Tortilla Soup doesn't disappoint.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1¾ pound skinned and boned chicken thighs
- 1 (12-oz.) bag frozen whole kernel yellow corn, thawed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 (14-oz.) cans reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (14-oz.) can tomato puree
- 1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 (5½-inch) corn tortillas
- fresh cilantro, shredded Cheddar cheese, sliced jalapeños and avocados
- Combine first 11 ingredients in a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on High 7 to 8 hours. Discard bay leaf and shred chicken.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cut tortillas into ¼-inch-wide strips, and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 5 minutes. Stir and bake 5 more minutes or until crisp. Add table salt to taste. Serve soup with tortilla strips and toppings.