Red Velvet Churros
What's not to love about cinnamon-sugar covered red velvet churros paired with a sweet cream cheese dipping sauce?
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- For the churros:
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup butter
- Red food dye
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Cinnamon sugar (1/2 cup granulated sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon)
- For the cream cheese dip:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 to 4 tablespoons whole milk
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Make the churro dough: In a medium saucepan, combine water, butter and red dye. Bring to a boil over high heat. While stirring, gradually add the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Continue to mix until a dough ball starts to form. Cook for another minute. Remove from heat.
- Transfer dough to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. While dough is still warm, beat in one egg at a time on high speed. Dough might look like it’s separating but it will come together. Mix until all eggs are combined and dough is smooth. Place in piping back with a star tip.
- Fry the churros: In a heavy stock pot, heat 4 inches of vegetable oil to 350 degrees. Using the piping bag, squeeze churro dough strips into oil, and cook for about 2 minutes per side. Remove from oil, and let cool slightly. Roll churros in cinnamon sugar.
- Make the dip: In a small bowl, combine softened cream cheese, milk, powdered sugar and pinch of salt until creamy and smooth. Serve alongside churros.