Mixed Berry Millefeuille With Mascarpone Cream
Layered between flaky sheets of pastry, rich mascarpone cream and mixed berries this Millefeuille is the perfect drool-worthy dessert.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 2 cups fresh mixed berries, fresh or frozen
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the cream:
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- ¼ cup powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
For the puff pastry:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unfold the pastry onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar and then add another layer of parchment paper on top. Place another heavier pan on top of the parchment-covered pastry.
- Bake for 10 minutes until puffed and just slightly brown. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees and bake for 20 minutes until crispy and a deep golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into 3 large equal rectangles, then each rectangle into 3 rectangles. You should have 12 rectangles total.
For the berry filling:
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, place mixed berries, remaining sugar, lemon juice and zest. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until berries have just started to break down.
- Drain berries in a sieve over a medium bowl to catch all the juices. Set the berries aside to cool. Return berry juice to the saucepan on medium heat for about 6 to 8 minutes or until the juice thickens. Set aside to cool.
For the mascarpone cream:
- In a large mixing bowl using the whisk attachment, combine the mascarpone cheese and powdered sugar on high until smooth and combined.
- With the mixer turned to low, pour in the vanilla and heavy cream. Slowly increase the speed to high until stiff peaks form. Place in a pastry bag and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Just before serving, assemble the millefeuille. Dust the puff pastry rectangles with powdered sugar. Place one rectangle of puff pastry on a serving plate. Pipe a layer of mascarpone cream onto the puff pastry. Top with a thin layer of berries and drizzle with a small amount of fruit syrup. Place another puff pastry on top and repeat with piping mascarpone, spooning fruit, and drizzling syrup. Place a third puff pastry on top. Repeat entire process to make 4 servings.