Mexican Carnitas As Made By Claudette
Get ready to drool as you watch the first 8 seconds of this video... then get ready to cook!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 5 lb pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) cubes (2.2 g)
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 10 avocado leaves
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup kosher salt (60 g)
- 6 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 dried bay leaves
- cold water
- ½ cup orange juice (120 mL)
- ½ cup milk (120 mL)
- 12 oz mexican style soda, 1 bottle (355 mL)
- 3 lb lard, cut into large cubes (1.3 g)
- white corn tortillas
- pickled vegetable
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- lime wedge
- rice, (made with cilantro)
- pinto bean
- To a large pot, add the cubed pork shoulder, onions, avocado leaves, pepper, salt, garlic, and bay leaves. Add enough cold water to cover all the meat. Bring to a boil over high heat, then continue to boil for 20 minutes.
- Add the orange juice, milk, and cola, return to a boil, and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half, about 1 hour.
- Add the lard, let it melt, then boil off the rest of the liquid until the meat begins to fry, 1 hour more.
- Once the meat turns dark golden brown and is crispy, scoop it out of the pot and onto a paper bag or paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
- Serve with corn tortillas, guacamole, pickled vegetables, cilantro, lime wedges, cilantro rice, and pinto beans.