Instant Pot Clam Chowder
You may never want to stop eating this creamy comfort food!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 2 6.5 oz cans chopped clams, drained and juices reserved
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (or ¼ tsp dried)
- 1 tsp celery seed (or 2 stalks celery, diced)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1½ lbs gold potatoes, cut into ½” dice
- 1⅓ cups half and half
- Snipped chives, for garnish
- Drain clams, reserving up to 2 cups of clam juice. If needed, add enough water to clam juice to make 2 cups.
- Add diced bacon to the Instant Pot. Using the display panel select the SAUTE function.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the fat has rendered, but the bacon is not crispy.
- Add onion, butter, thyme and celery seed or celery. Deglaze by using a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot, then saute until onion is soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, salt, and pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add clam juice and potatoes and stir to combine.
- Turn the pot off by selecting CANCEL, then secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Using the display panel select the MANUAL function*. Use the +/- keys and program the Instant Pot for 4 minutes.
- When the time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 4 minutes, then quick-release the remaining pressure.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove about half the potatoes to a bowl and set aside. Remove thyme sprigs and discard.
- Use an immersion blender to process soup mixture until smooth. Return reserved potatoes to the pot along with the clams and half and half.
- Cook and stir on the WARM function until chowder is heated through. (Switch to the SAUTE function if needed, but do not boil.)
- Garnish with snipped chives.