Easy Tex-Mex Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd's pie just got easier. This comfort dish takes advantage of a few shortcuts that don’t lesson the flavor or quality of the meal, like refrigerated mashed potatoes and pico de gallo, so you can get dinner on the table fast. Make sure to brown your meat nicely, since it builds flavor. Substitute cheddar cheese for pepper jack, if you prefer it.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1½ cups chopped red onion (from 1 medium-size onion)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (from 2 large garlic cloves)
- 1 (15-oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 cups pico de gallo, drained
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 (8-oz.) block pepper Jack cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- 4 cups refrigerated mashed potatoes (such as Bob Evans)
- ½ cup salsa verde Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Heat oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add sirloin, and cook, stirring often to break up meat with a wooden spoon, until meat is no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Add onions and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until softened and aromatic, about 3 minutes. Drain beef mixture. Stir in corn, black beans, salt, and cumin; cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Stir in pico de gallo, ketchup, and chopped chipotle chiles. Top mixture with grated cheese, and remove from heat.
- Stir together mashed potatoes and salsa verde in a medium microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH until hot, about 3 minutes. Spread potato mixture in an even layer over cheese in skillet, covering entire surface. Spray lightly with cooking spray, and place skillet on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until potatoes are lightly browned on top, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cilantro and scallions, and serve hot.
Watch the recipe video here:
Weeknight Shepherd's Pie just got so much easier. GET THE RECIPE: https://trib.al/LxEMory
Posted by MyRecipes on Thursday, August 22, 2019