Bacon Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin
Bacon + cheese + Brussels sprouts = the perfect side for your Easter brunch!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 6 pieces bacon
- 1½ pounds Brussels sprouts
- 4 tablespoons Land O’Lakes® Butter
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons Land O’Lakes® Butter
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- Heat a skillet to medium. Add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove and drain over a paper towel. Once cooled, crumble and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Once boiling, blanch the Brussels sprouts for 2 minutes, then drain and shock in ice water.
- Dry off the sprouts and cut in half, or if the sprouts are large, cut into quarters.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add the leek and saute for 4–5 minutes until softened. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the milk and season with the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Whisk for 3–4 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Fold the Brussels sprouts into the sauce. Add the crumbled bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons. Pour the mixture into a baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the gratin is starting to bake, make the crunchy topping. Melt the butter in a small pan. Add the breadcrumbs and stir until the butter has been evenly absorbed. Place in a bowl. Add the bacon and Parmesan and stir well.
- When the gratin has baked for the first 15 minutes, remove from oven and evenly sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture onto it. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Garnish with parsley and serve!