Stuffed Eggplant Parmesan
A twist on the old standby! I like to use my homemade tomato sauce for this recipe, as well as using crushed croutons as the bread crumbs. A hint for shelling the eggplants - use a grapefruit spoon to start!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium eggplants, cut in half lengthwise and hollowed out to
- ¼ inch flesh rim
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oreganofreshly ground black pepper to taste1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese1/2 cup bread crumbs1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley2 cups tomato sauce1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Roughly chop eggplant centers, and add to pan with onion, garlic, oregano, and pepper. Cook and stir until lightly browned. Spoon mixture back into eggplant, and sprinkle each with Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and parsley. Place in a shallow baking dish, and cover with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until eggplant is fork-tender and cheese is bubbly. Serve immediately.