Yields: 4 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 20 Mins Cook Time: 5 Mins Total Time: 25 Mins
Valerie Bertinelli grills sweet onions to amp up the smoky flavor in her Italian-inspired sandwiches 🔥
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- If your ciabatta rolls are very bready, pick out a little of the crumb. Put the rolls on a baking pan and bake until warm and crisp on the outside, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a small grill pan or cast-iron pan over medium-high heat until very hot. Toss the red onion in 1 tablespoon of the oil and sprinkle with a little salt, then grill, turning occasionally, until slightly softened and charred in spots, about 6 minutes.
- Stir together the basil, smoked almonds, crushed red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt and the remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil in a bowl.
- Arrange the bottom halves of the ciabatta rolls on a work surface. Drizzle with a little olive oil, then arrange the tomatoes on top; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Next, top evenly with the onions, followed by the almond mixture. Lay the mozzarella on top; sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with a little more olive oil. Top with the arugula and serve immediately.