Low Fat Blueberry Scones
Blueberry scones, warm right out of the oven make the perfect Sunday morning breakfast along with a hot cup of tea.
Servings: 8 yield(s)
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
- 2 cup unbleached flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ cup frozen butter, half stick
- ¾ cup 1% buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, if frozen, thaw first
- Preheat the oven to 400F°.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- Using the large holes of a cheese grater, grate the frozen butter into the flour. Mix well with flour.
- In a medium bowl, mix the buttermilk, egg and vanilla.
- Using a fork, slowly stir in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, until all the mixture is moistened.
- Do not over work the dough. Fold in the blueberries.
- Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper. Drop large spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet (to avoid tough scones, do not press or compact).
- Bake in the center rack 18 minutes. Remove and let them cool about 5 minutes before eating.