Fans say Ina Garten's easy recipe is the "best meatloaf ever!"
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ⅓ cup canned chicken stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2½ pounds ground chuck (81 percent lean)
- ½ cup plain dry bread crumbs (recommended: Progresso)
- 2 extra-large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup ketchup (recommended: Heinz)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan. Add the onions, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not brown. Off the heat, add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck, onion mixture, bread crumbs, and eggs, and mix lightly with a fork. Don't mash or the meat loaf will be dense. Shape the mixture into a rectangular loaf on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper. Spread the ketchup evenly on top. Bake for 1 to 1¼ hours, until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F and the meat loaf is cooked through. (A pan of hot water in the oven, under the meat loaf, will keep the top from cracking.) Serve hot.
Watch the recipe video here:
Fans say Ina Garten's easy recipe is the "best meatloaf ever!" 😛
Posted by Food Network on Wednesday, December 6, 2017