Frozen Margarita Pie
It's always happy hour with this sweet and creamy tequila-infused margarita custard pie topped with fluffy toasted meringue.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 1 cup lime juice about 10 limes - depending on the size
- 2 tbsp lime zest
- 6 egg yolks leave aside 2 egg whites for the meringue
- 1 ½ tbsp cornstarch cornflour
- 200 g / 1 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ - ½ cup tequila
- ¾ cup half and half
- 7 oz pretzels
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 - 6 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 2 egg whites (pasteurised)
- 3 oz / 85 g white sugar caster sugar is better
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place the pretzels and salt in a food processor. Process until they resemble bread crumbs. Add melted butter and salt. Pulse until well combined. Press these crumbs into the bottom of a long tart tin using the back of a tablespoon. Chill the crust in the freezer until completely hardened.
- Place the lime, zest, egg yolks, cornstarch, sugar, butter, vanilla, tequila, half and half and salt in a large microwave safe bowl. Whisk to combine. Microwave for 5 minutes. Whisk and microwave for another 2 minutes, mixing each time until thick. Pour into the tart tin. Use a small offset spatula or tablespoon to even out before. Add fresh lime zest on top before placing in the freezer for at least 3 hours.
- Place the egg whites into a large bowl and whip to soft peaks. Slowly add the sugar until it’s all in there. Mix on high speed for a couple minutes then add vanilla extract. Continue mixing for another 5minutes until meringue is thick and glossy.
- Fit the end of a piping bag with a large open star tip and pipe meringue onto the tart. Add fresh lime zest before slicing up and serving.
Watch the recipe video here:
When life hands you limes, make frozen margarita pie. #MargaritaDayFull Recipe: bit.ly/2CBvZ0L
Posted by Tastemade on Thursday, February 22, 2018