- 1 ½ lb yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch (2 cm) pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 5 cups cold water
- salt, to taste
- ½ cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheese, such as Swiss, Comté, Fontina or Gruyère
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the potatoes, garlic, and cover with cold water. Add a big pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and garlic in a colander and press them through the holes of the colander with a metal spoon back into the pot. Alternatively, use a potato ricer.
- Add the butter and one clove of garlic to the potatoes and stir over medium-low heat with a rubber spatula until melted and smooth.
- Pour in the heavy cream and stir again until combined.
- Gradually add in the cheese, stirring between each addition, until completely melted.
- Continue stirring the potatoes until smooth, thick, and elastic.
- Begin to stretch the potatoes upwards with the spatula. If the mixture is breaking, add in more cheese. If the mixture is too thick add in more cream.
- Serve immediately as a side with roasted veggies or a meat of choice, or alone with fresh chopped garlic!
Watch the recipe video here:
If you can't dine-in for these cheesy potatoes, keep watching and see how you can make aligot at home! 😱 🧀FULL RECIPE: https://tasty.co/recipe/aligot-cheesy-potatoesAre you weird? Then you'll love these quirky kitchen tools: http://bzfd.it/2BKpfhV
Posted by Tasty on Wednesday, December 6, 2017